The Biology Section is the centre of expertise for protection against biological threats and hazards within the SPIEZ LABORATORY and is primarily responsible for handling all biological protection issues. Two other specialist groups in the SPIEZ LABORATORY also work in the bioprotection field: the Arms Control Unit (export controls, Australia Group) and the Chemistry Division (biotoxin analyses).
- Assessment of threats by biological agents, either naturally occurring or man-made
- Analysis and diagnosis of highly pathogenic biological agents and toxins
- Research on epidemiology and pathogenesis, diagnosis of biological agents and toxins
- Maintaining expertise and technical readiness for biological incident-response
- Scientific support for export and arms control activities
- Biosafety education, training and research.
Pofessor Dr. med. Stephen Leib