NBC Defence Lab 1 Training
In order to achieve and maintain readiness for an emergency military personnel are trained in refresher courses by experts from Spiez Laboratory. Here they are schooled in the use of technical measuring instruments and in specific measuring methods. Their training is focused on measuring resources and methods as well as maintaining current quality standards. At the end of refresher courses, the degree of operational readiness is always tested in joint exercises.
The N specialists serve to provide support relating to the special federal laboratory (in accordance with the Radiological Protection Ordinance) and the N DDPS Emergency Response Team (federal measuring and sampling tasks) as well as work according to the respective directives. N specialists of NBC Def Lab1 support the Radioactivity Branch of the Physics Division according to their level of training by:
- preparing samples and carrying out gamma spectrometry measurements
- radiochemical processing and assisting in radiochemical measurements
- Application of mobile monitoring procedures (N DDPS Emergency Response Team)
B Specialists from the fields of biology, medicine or related disciplines are assigned to the B platoons of NBC Def Lab 1. Some of them are B specialist officers, most are B servicemen. A few of the B specialist officers are trained to operate in the biocontainment laboratory level 3 (BSL 3 specialists).
In an emergency, the B specialists of NBC Def Lab 1 are to support the Biology Division in accordance with their training in the following tasks:
- carrying out methods to detect risk group 1-3 microorganisms
- conduct of molecular and conventional methods with inactivated material for risk group 1-3 microorganisms
The quantitative work performance and sustainability of the Chemistry Division is enhanced by the deployment of military C specialists. C specialists of NBC Def Lab 1 support the division in accordance with their training in the following tasks:
- processing and analysis of environmental (and clinical) samples as regards chemical warfare agents and the relevant toxic chemicals in the organic analytics group (OA);
- compilation of analytical results, reporting to superior authorities in agreement with the head of the OA and entering analytical results into the APV;
- production of reference substances for C agent analysis in the organic chemistry group, detection, decontamination (OCNE).
Top of page